Senior Leadership Moves Within US Global Markets 2021 YTD
Sheffield Haworth US Global Markets team have tracked over 142 senior leadership moves in 2021 year to date. Overall Hiring and Promotion trends YTD:The following chart shows the overall trend in leadership moves since the beginning of 2021, where we see movement trending upwards with a spike in September. In 2021 YTD, 61% of senior leadership movement were attributed to hires and 27% promotions. Hiring and promotion trends by Major Asset Classifications:The following chart compares the hiring and promotion trends between the major classification in Global Markets: FIC (Fixed Income & Currencies), Equities (Equity, Equity Derivatives, & Prime) & Others (which covers cross assets and CIB). We see FIC starting off the year with the most activities with a slight slump in February and March before picking up again for the summer and into its peak in September. Equities on the other hand peaked in May and have had steady movements for the rest of the year. Gender balance amongst senior leadership in US Global Market, YTD:Regarding gender balance amongst the movements of senior leadership which we have tracked YTD, the gender split was 16% female and 84% male.Female leadership movements is split by 59% new hires; 36% are promotion; and 5% departure.Industry shifts in US Global Markets Senior Leadership hiring trend:We have also observed a movement trend in the industries, as there has been significant hiring activity of talent from the sell-side to buy-side firms and most of the movements have been across trading. We understand that two of the main selling points for buy-side firms is the flexibility in remote working that they offer and compensation structure. Notable moves to buy side this year include:
- John Cortese, former Co-Head of Credit Trading at Barclays to Apollo to be Head of Global Credit Trading
- Shawn Faurot, former Head of US Credit Trading at Deutsche Bank to Sycamore Partners
- Matt Zhang, former Co-Head of Structured-Products Trading and Solutions division at Citi, has started his own cryptocurrency firm, Hivemind
- David Kim, former Head of US Equity Derivatives Trading at BoA to Citadel
- Moran Forman, former Equity Index Derivatives trader at Goldman Sachs to Rokos Capital
- Stacy Selig, former Co-Head of Global Sales Strats and Americas Structured Sales at Goldman Sachs to Millennium.
- Christopher Perkins, former Managing Director, Global Co-Head of Futures, Clearing & FX Prime Brokerage Business at Citi to CoinFund
- Michael Caperonis, former Co-Global Head of Equities & Head of Credit Trading Americas at Nomura to Apollo Management
- Mark Chen, former Head of Equity Flow Sales at Citi has joined Millennium
- Bankole Omodunbi, former Goldman Sachs, Global Head of Electronic Principal Trading Products has left to start his own financial technology company.
- Brett Fischer, former Head of Americas Electronic Equity Sales at JP Morgan has joined Tourmaline Partners.
- Leadership changes: at CS Brian Chin, former Head of the Investment Bank was replaced by Christian Meissner, previously Global Head of CIB at Bank of America, who joined Credit Suisse in 2020.
- Departures in Equity Sales, Trading & Prime Brokerage –
- there were several departures from CS: Paul Galietto, Head of Equities Sales & Trading & Prime Brokerage Co-Heads John Dabbs and Ryan Nelson stepped down
- a team of 4 credit traders left for HSBC; Bill Bors a sales trader joined Barclays;
- Jason Vickery, Head of Program Trading joined Mizuho.
- Global Head of Prime Brokerage at Morgan Stanley, Ed Keller stepped down and was replaced by Penny Novick & Kim Shaw.
- Oliver Taylor, Global Equity Exotics Trading, EMEA Corporate and Convert Trading from JP Morgan, has joined Citi as Head of Americas Cash and Equity Derivatives Trading.
Bank of America
JP Morgan Chase
Disclaimer: The data in this report is compiled from public information and sources.All content is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. This report is based purely on our opinions and insights. TALNT shall not, in any way whatsoever, be responsible or liable for any information published or your use of this data. The report should be used for information and analysis purposes only. This document may not be reproduced, published, or redistributed in whole or any part for any purpose without the prior written consent of TALNT. We recommend that this report is not used beyond its intended use.
Mar 19 2023
Gender Diversity Within Tech Services Senior Appointments, Jan 2022 - Feb 2023
Mar 07 2023
Top 5 Banks Senior Moves, 2021 and 2022
Feb 22 2023
Global CFO Moves, Jan – Dec 2022